Sunday, May 18, 2008

On the Needles: Mediterranean Lace


I've been meaning to start this blog for a while now, and now is as good a time as any. This is the inaugural of what I hope will be a weekly feature called "On the _____" to showcase a knitting project (or crochet, or other creative endeavor) currently in progress.

Today: Mediterranean Lace shawl from Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace. I modified the pattern from its original shape to be a simple rectangle (inspired by bluegarter.org, specifically this post).

Overview: The shawl is 24 repetitions of a 28-row pattern, with a 50-row border added to it afterwards. I'm using ArtYarns Cashmere 1 in off-white (color #250) and size #2 needles. This project is a lot of firsts for me: first lace project, first project reading from a chart, first project in needles/yarn that small, etc.

Current status: Started this project on March 9th and have finished 9 repetitions so far (yay!). 9 repetitions x 28 rows x 141 stitches = 35,532 stitches (yikes!). The yarn comes in skeins of 510 yards; I'm very close to finishing one skein (it's hard to believe that 500 yards of yarn makes only about 2 feet of finished fabric). I've made two somewhat noticeable mistakes.... but when the shawl is finished, I doubt they'll be noticeable to anyone besides me.

And here's a little before/after:



(those adorable little stitch markers came from Miss Purl)

3 comments:

Sarah / Blue Garter said...

I think you'll find you don't need to do 24 reps - that was what I was aiming for, but it turned out a nice size with 16 once I blocked it and added the edging! But 17 would have been a better number for picking up the edge stitches in multiples of 42, fyi. I used almost all of three skeins, in case that's helpful. Keep forging ahead - your stole is going to be glorious!

Christy Kane said...

Is this the one you're making to wear at our wedding? I should commission one for my dress! It's purdy.

Catherine said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Sarah - seeing how large yours is at 16 repetitions makes me realize that i might be done with the body portion sooner than I thought! (It feels too short to me, but i have to keep reminding myself that it'll "grow" when it's blocked.)

And Christy - yes, I do plan/hope to wear this at your wedding! :) Although if the color matches your dress, it can totally be your 'something borrowed'!!