Monday, July 14, 2008

On (and off) the Hook: Go Blue! Afghan



Have you ever wondered, "Could I make an entire afghan in 9 days?" Apparently, for me, that answer is yes. I started this afghan officially on July 4th and finished it yesterday. (Why the clarification of "officially", you might wonder? Well, I tried two other patterns and two other hook sizes before I finally settled on this pattern and hook size, which means I technically started the project on June 30.)

I used ~3500 yards of Numma Numma's Texas Toasty yarn in Blue Corn Masa; I doubled the yarn and used an 8mm "L" hook. (And yes, picking a hook size was a bit of a Goldilocks process: the N was too loose, the K was too tight, and the L was just right.) The pattern is Plain and Simple from Quick and Cozy Afghans; it's a pretty straightforward pattern to memorize and debug, and I just love the scalloped edges (which are sort of the inverse of each other-- see photos below).

My finished afghan is about 43" wide x 55" long. I increased the pattern widthwise by one repetition because I thought it wouldn't be wide enough. I haven't blocked it yet, but it looks like it'll grow quite a bit lengthwise when I do.

   

No comments: