Sunday, June 8, 2008

On the Hook: Mini-afghan (sampler!)



I did a lot of travelling in January and February, and I decided to use the time away from home living in hotel rooms to learn how to crochet. So I picked up a copy of Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks because it would give me a lot of different patterns with a lot of different kinds of stitches and techniques. It ended up being a great strategy-- I loved the book, and I loved seeing all of Eaton's different color and pattern combinations (she showed a lot of her blocks in multiple color combos, so even though there were 212 blocks, that's not 212 unique patterns.... but there was still way more than enough to keep me challenged).

Overview: I used Rowan Pure Wool DK in lots of different colors: white (snow #012), three different blues (glacier #005, marine #008, navy #011), three different pinks (tea rose #025, hyacinth #026, and hydrangea #027), two greens (avocado #019 and emerald #022), two oranges (honey #033 and spice #034), and red (kiss #036). Blocks are made using a F hook (4.0 mm) and ended up being 5.25" square.

I can't decide how much bigger I'm going to make this-- my original plan was to make it into a lap blanket to keep at my office, but it's a little thin (I totally should've doubled the yarn!) and I've since moved on to other projects. I've made 28 blocks so far, and I'm stitching them together as I go, so I'll probably just decide it's finished whenever I either run out of yarn or decide that there are no other blocks that I want to make!

Below is a sampling of some of the blocks I've made so far. These blocks are all square and have been blocked, but the angle makes them look not-so-square.










No comments: