Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On the Table: Garlic Scape Pesto


OK, I have a confession: one of my favorite foods in the whole wide world is garlic, and the best part of the garlic are the garlic scapes. The only bad thing about garlic scapes is that they're around for just a few weeks a year.

I'm a shareholder in the Bull Run Farm CSA (what this means, in short, is that I pick up vegetables from a local farmer once a week from June to October-- there's more information about Community Supported Agriculture here), and early in the season, he always brings tons of garlic scapes.

I've traditionally added the scapes to stir-fries or steamed them with veggies (yummy with broccoli) or rice, but this week, I decided to make garlic scape pesto. I mostly followed this recipe, but since I don't eat cheese, the recipe was simplified down to three ingredients: garlic scapes, walnuts, and olive oil.

I started with about 10 scapes and chopped them up:


Took those (it was about 1 cup), added 1/3rd of a cup of walnuts, threw them in the food processor until well-minced, added the olive oil, and ta-da:


Oh, and as a bonus: my entire kitchen now smells like garlic!

Summary: Garlic Scape Pesto
~8-10 garlic scapes, chopped into 1/4" bits (approx. 1 cup)
~1/3 cup walnuts
1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil

1) chop dry ingredients in food processor
2) add olive oil, give it a few more whizzes
3) eat.

No comments: